Friday, July 18, 2008

Marseilles

Last month I was able to spend a couple days in Marseilles in the South of France. While not as glamorous as Nice, Cannes, or St. Tropez were all the wealthy go on holiday, Marseilles is pretty cool. My favorite part was the Chateau d'Ilf. This is France's version of Alcatraz. In the book the Count of Monte Cristo it is where Edmond Dantes (the Count) was sent.

The view from the hill looking down on Vieux-Port.

This is Notre Dame de la Garde. It is said to watch over sailors as they are coming and going from Marseilles.

This is looking out towards the Chateau d'Ilf from Notre Dame de la Garde.

Vieux Port. This is one of the main areas of the city. They had a huge fish market with some pretty interesting looking creatures that I would never dare try.

The cathedral de la mayor.

On the island Chateau d'Ilf.

Looking back at the city of Marseilles from the island.

Getting back into the Port after my trip to the islands.

I'm on a roll with these posts, so hopefully I'll be able to keep them going. I'm off to Germany in a couple hours. I'll be in Aachen, the resting place of Charlemage and where the Holy Roman Emperors were crowned from his time in the 700's to the 1400's. Should be fun.

Nuck

1 comment:

Sarah Oman said...

so... when do you work??? We love looking at the pictures Jake! We sure can't wait until all you guys get home though.